Nowadays, TVs are no less than a smartphone. You can watch movies, and TV shows, play games, use a browser, install apps, etc., on your smart TVs, and LG is one such company offering people the best smart TVs in the market. But in certain companies, including LG, it is quite difficult to know if users can install 3rd party apps or not. But we all need to add our favorite apps to our TVs so that it is easy to stream them whenever needed. Therefore, in this article, we will answer the most asked question, i.e., how to install 3rd party apps on your LG smart TV?
How To Install Apps On LG Smart TV?
We are going to discuss how you can install apps or add apps on your LG smart TV, it is a super simple process, and you can do it with ease. All you have to do is follow all the steps along with us:
- First, turn on your LG TV and then connect your TV to a source of Internet connection, i.e., with WiFi or a mobile hotspot.
- Now, you have to head to the LG Content store by clicking the “Premium” option, where you will see a list of apps, movies, Live TV shows, etc.
- You will notice a side menu on this page listing a few categories; you have to look for the Apps category and then click on it.
- Here, find the app you want to install, or just use the search bar to find that particular app.
- Then, simply select “Install” to start the downloading process.
- After you have installed that app, it will be added to your home screen, and from there, you can launch this app.
Can You Install Third-party Apps On LG Smart TV?
So this is considered the most asked question, and the answer to the question of how to install 3rd party apps on LG smart TV is somewhat unclear to many people. First of all, NO, you cannot install a 3rd party app on LG TV. It is not possible. As the LG smart TV runs on WebOS, it is impossible to download a third-party app from an unknown source.
You can download only those apps which are approved by LG and are displayed on the LG content store. And if you would like to stream third-party apps on your LG smart TV, we recommend using Firestick or Google Chromecast. However, there are some LG smart TV models which allow users to stream 3rd party apps. These are LG OLED, LG Nano Cell, and LG UHD TV.
How To Install 3rd Party Apps On LG Smart TV
We are going to tell you how you can stream 3rd party apps on LG TV with the use of certain streaming devices. The devices that we are going to talk about in this article are Amazon Firestick, LG SmartShare, and Google Chromecast:
1. Using Amazon Firestick
Follow the below-given steps to know the answer for how to install 3rd party apps on your LG smart TV:
- The first step is to buy an Amazon firestick.
- Then, you have to connect a USB cable to an adapter and the Firestick. Take the USB cable, insert one end into an adapter, and insert another into the Amazon Firestick.
- Now carefully look for the HDMI port in your LG TV, and then plug the Firestick into that port in your LG smart TV.
- Turn your LG TV on and click on the source settings from your TV remote. After that, change your HMI source to Amazon Firestick and click on it to turn the Firestick on. That’s it.
- Now, all you have to do is open your Internet Browser on the TV and download APK files of the apps you would like to install. And in this manner, you can install the 3rd party apps and enjoy it!
This is one way of installing 3rd party apps through a device. However, we would recommend that you turn the ADB Debugging and Unknown Source on. You can do so by opening the Developer option in your TV settings.
2. Using Google Chromecast
Follow the given steps to know how you can cast your device on LG TV and how to install 3rd party apps on your LG smart TV:
- First of all, this is the basic step you have to connect an adaptor to Google Chromecast using a USB.
- Now, insert the Chromecast into the HDMI port on your LG TV. You need to ensure that your Android/iOS device or PC and the TV are connected with the same Internet connection.
- You will require the Google Home app on your device, so it is recommended that you install this application.
- Using the source button on your TV remote, select HDMI as your TV source. Now, launch the Google Home app on your device, as soon as you open the application, it will start looking for nearby Chromecast devices.
- In the next step, a code will be displayed on both the TV and your device screen, and if the code matches on both the platforms then, click on “That’s my code” in the app.
- And the Google Chromecast process is complete, and you can now cast your desired app over your TV. But you will require those apps which support Chromecast, such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
The LG SmartShare is an in-built source that helps to screencast from any device to the TV. However, you can only use Android devices or PC to screencast on LG TV with LG SmartShare, as it doesn’t support iOS devices. Here’s how you can use LG SmartShare to stream 3rd party apps on your LG smart TV:
- Okay, the most important thing is to ensure that your Android device and your LG TV is on the same WiFi network.
- Now, you have to look for the LG SmartShare app on your LG TV. It is located on the TV’s menu.
- As soon as you open that app on your TV, click on the Listening mode button to switch it on. This button is located on the top right side of the screen.
- Now, you will have to look for the Screen sharing or mirroring option on your Android device so that you can turn it on. You will find this option in your device’s settings. After you turn the screen mirroring option on, it will display a few nearby wireless connections; click on LG TV from that list.
- That’s it. You can cast your favorite app on your LG TV now!
We have provided you with almost all the methods you can use to install 3rd party apps on your LG smart TV. You should try the methods mentioned above. I hope you liked reading this article and found it helpful. Do let us know about any queries that you might have or leave any further suggestions in the comments box!