MacBook Pro laptop is one of the finest laptops available and is extremely in demand in both legal and illegal markets. They are quite expensive and therefore, very prone to be stolen. A lot of people purchase second-hand MacBooks at a reduced price from the market and oftentimes, after purchasing they find out that it is locked with a password. After which it becomes difficult to unlock such stolen devices. This situation can also arise when you thought your laptop was stolen and you erased all your files but found the exact device after a few days. The question remains how to unlock a stolen MacBook Pro, keep reading to find the answer to the question.
How To Unlock A Stolen MacBook Pro?
There are high chances as mentioned above that you decided to lock your MacBook pro the moment it was stolen. But it was just simply lost and somebody returned it to you or perhaps the police came in handy and found your device. The question remains how do one unlocks such a device however, you as the owner of your laptop need not worry about this. As Apple ensured that once the MacBook pro is locked the owner has the sole power to unlock it with their Apple ID.
You will be required to log into your iCloud account using your credentials and straight away head to Find and look for your MacBook name on the Device’s menu. Once you find your device, simply click on the Unlock button and that is it, your laptop will be unlocked.
However, you will be asked to enter a passcode that you must have received and after you have completed the verification, you can unlock your MacBook Pro. But all of this can happen only if you remember your password, and if you don’t remember it then, you will have to go through the ways given below to try and unlock your MacBook pro.
How To Unlock A MacBook Pro Without Password?
A lot of times, people tend to forget their iCloud passwords and it is very common. However, it doesn’t mean that you will never be able to unlock that laptop, you just need to try a different alternative or change the password, etc. to access the data files on your laptop.
1. Resetting Password With The Help Of Apple ID
Most Apple users have set their primary form of connection to either iCloud or any other service inside the device is in the form of Apple ID. So, you can use Apple ID to reset your password for your device in case you forgot it.
However, the working of this process may depend on the macOS version you are currently using, here’s how you can reset the password using Apple ID:
- Just when you will open your MacBook Pro, go to the login screen and then, click on your account. There will be a box where you are supposed to enter the password and next to it will be a question mark, click on it.
- You will see an option that says ‘reset it using your Apple ID’, click on that option.
- Here you are supposed to enter your Apple ID and password and once you have entered your credentials, you will be taken to the next step where you will be able to reset the password and add a hint as well.
2. Using Recovery Mode
In this method, we will be using the macOS Recovery mode, which will automatically reset the MacBook Pro to its factory settings, so the password will not be required, here’s how you can do so:
- Restart your MacBook pro and then, hold down the keys ‘Command + R’.
- Just as shown in the image below, click on the Disk Utility and then, click on the Continue option.
- Select the Terminal option from the utility tab that is located at the top of the window.
- Then, type resetpassword word by word just as it is on the Terminal window. And then press Enter.
- The reset Password screen will appear in front of you, here you will be asked to enter your new password for the MacBook and will also, have to provide a password hint.
3. Using Recovery Key To Reset The Password
If you are thinking of using this method, you must know that to use this process you should have the FileVault encryption already enabled on your MacBook Pro. And also, you must have a recovery key that can be used to reset the password for your device, if you have the pre-requisites then, follow the steps below:
- Restart your MacBook simply and then, click on your user account.
- You will be asked to enter a password instead, click on the question mark icon located right beside that same box. And then, you will be provided with an option saying ‘reset it using your Recovery key’. Click on it.
- And after you have selected the above option, you are required to enter the Recovery key that you must have created when you enabled the FileVault Encryption on your MacBook.
- Simply, tap on ‘Continue’ and then, in the next screen follow the instructions that appear on the screen and reset your password easily.
I hope you liked reading this article and found this article insightful. We have provided you with all the possible ways that can help you unlock a stolen MacBook Pro. We assure you if these ways don’t work, you will have to consider a technical overview. If you still have any queries, you can let us know in the comments below.