If you are here on our page, then, you are irritated by the “the requested resource is in use” message popping over your screen. This message appears on your screen when you are trying to copy some files or folders from external storage devices. And it can also come up when you are installing some software into your system. Trust me, you are not the only one going through this issue, so you don’t have to get scared. In this article, we are going to provide you with several methods to fix the “the requested resource is in use” issue.
Ways to Fix “The Requested Resource Is In Use” Error
Let’s look at the multiple ways which can help you in fixing this issue. We have provided a detailed step-by-step process that you can follow to get rid of this issue. This issue is caused by malware when they enter certain files.
1. Disable The Preview Pane
If you receive a pop-up message on your display saying “the requested resource is in use” then, there are chances that you have enabled the Preview pane option in File Explorer. Because if this option is enabled then, you will face this issue while copying any folder or file, as Preview Pane is using those files. So, it’s necessary to disable them to fix this issue.
Here’s how you can disable the Preview Pane option on your File Explorer, it’s not such a complicated process:
- First of all, open File Explorer on your Windows PC.
- And then, go to the View tab from the above-located menu.
- And then, look for the “Preview Pane” option; it is listed under the “Panes section”. Just simply uncheck that option.
2. Restart PC In Safe Mode
Now, you must be aware of the fact that the malware SmartService blocks the antivirus software thus, making your system vulnerable to being affected by other viruses, and malware. Thus, it is highly recommended to reboot your system using safe mode.
Safe Mode restarts your system with only a few essential system programs and services. This mode will help you in running the antivirus program without being interrupted by the SmartService. Here’s how you can reboot your PC under safe Mode:
- On your Windows 10 PC, click on the “Start” button and then, click on the Settings option, it looks like a gear.
- Then, open the “Update and Security” option, and then, tap on the “Recovery” option.
- Then, you will see the “Advanced Startup” option. Under this option, choose the “Restart now” option.
- Now, a “Choose your option” screen will appear on your screen while restarting then, select the “Troubleshoot” option.
- And follow the following pattern, choose these options: Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart
- And finally, your PC will restart and will provide you a list of option, choose the “Enable safe mode” option from them to boot your PC into safe mode.
3. Run Windows Defender
Now, you can try the in-built Windows defender to help you remove viruses from your computer which is the reason for causing the “the requested resources are in use” issue. This could be used as an alternative to the above method. Here is how you can run this in-built feature of Windows:
- First of all head to Windows Settings.
- And then, click on the “Update and Security” option.
- And now, choose the “Windows security” option.
- Tap on the “Virus and threat protection”.
- In the “Threat History” section, you have to simply choose the “Scan Now” to detect malware or virus over your computer.
4. Removing Malicious Malware Program/Software
Now, the last method is to get rid of the malicious malware software or program from your PC/laptop permanently. This method can be used when you locate software or program which is malicious in your thought then, you should remove them. You can follow these steps to get rid of them and for fixing the issue:
- You have to right-click on the Windows button and then click on the “Control Panel” option.
- Then, choose the Administration Tools option > System Configurations
- You will see multiple tabs on the status bar of that window, go to the “General” tab and click on the “Selective Startup” option, and under it, you have to check the “Load startup items” option.
- Now, tap on the OK button.
- Now, after your computer reboots, click on the “startup” tab, and under it, check all the listed programs. And you have to click on the “disable” option after right-clicking on all those programs which are labeled as Unknown. In the provided list.
Follow the below steps after doing the above ones to eliminate the malicious programs’ Registry entries:
- Together hold the “Windows + R” key to open up the Run dialog box in front of you.
- Now tap on the “Ctrl + F” keys, the Find Dialog box will open, type “SmartService” in the empty column to search this particular malware through the registry in the quickest way.
- And that’s it, locate the malware and permanently delete it from your system.
Note: remember you will have to repeat this process multiple times to get rid of all the malicious programs from your computer to solve the issue.
Just in case if you don’t know the name of certain malware or Trojan then, you can follow the below-provided steps, this will help you in eliminating the unknown malware from your system:
- First of open the Run dialog box by clicking the following key combination i.e. “Windows + R”.
- And then, type Regedit in the column.
- Head to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE and then, “Software”. Now, you will have to look for “Microsoft”.
- And then, look for “windows” and finally “CurrentVersion” to locate all the folders or programs along with the ones which are running.
- It’s a bit lengthy process but you will have to open all these folders and look for any suspicious files, etc in them and open them to re-ensure before clicking the “Delete” option.
I hope we have cleared all your doubts, providing all the relevant methods that you can use for fixing this issue. Also, before you use any of the above methods, we would recommend you retrieve your data before eliminating malware from your system. I hope you liked reading this article, and if you still have any queries, you can let us know in the comments below!