LinkedIn is one of the most popular networks for professionals; it connects a huge chunk of the population indulging in work and is a very useful platform for those seeking jobs. You just have to sign up and that is it, you will be able to share your professional life with your connections. And similarly, you can browse through LinkedIn and view professional profiles of others but they will know that you have been viewing their profiles.
So just in case if people don’t want to be known while viewing profiles on LinkedIn then they can make use of the LinkedIn private mode. In this article, we are going to provide a brief introduction to this mode and how can you enable LinkedIn private mode.
What Is LinkedIn Private Mode?
LinkedIn private mode helps people to hide their profiles while browsing through other accounts on the platform. It hides your activity status and helps you to browse anonymously. You are viewed as LinkedIn Member in another user’s profile and none of your information is shared with that user.
But this mode has to be manually enabled by you to be able to use it as, by default, while viewing profiles on LinkedIn you are sharing your profile information.
If you will use this mode you will be listed as anonymous under the “Who viewed your profile” list, and if you won’t enable it then, your professional profile will be listed under it.
However, we can’t deny that not using the private mode in LinkedIn has its benefits, as people can connect to you more efficiently and can know that you are interested in them.
How To Enable LinkedIn Private Mode?
Now, let us see how we can enable the private mode on the LinkedIn platform, it is not a very difficult process. We will be providing two different processes one for the desktop and another for mobile users. You can follow whichever is the suitable one for you. So let us begin:
1. For desktop
All those users who use LinkedIn on desktops can follow the below-provided steps as it is for being able to enable the private mode. They are a couple of easy steps, so let us get into it:
- First of all, you will have to open the LinkedIn page on your browser or you can click here to open it directly. And then, you will be asked to sign in to your LinkedIn profile using your email address.
- Once you are on your profile page, click on your profile picture, and a drop-down menu will appear. The profile image is located in the top-right corner of the screen.
- From the menu that appears, you have to click on the following options Account > Settings & Privacy.
- Now, you have to choose the Privacy tab and then, you have to select the “How others see your LinkedIn activity” from the left pane. OR There are possibilities that you are using the old version of LinkedIn and if you are then, you will have to follow this step instead of the above one. You have to choose the “Visibility of your profile & network” under the Visibility option. Click on the Change option located next to Profile Viewing options.
- Finally, you will be provided with three modes i.e. Public (this mode will make your name and headline visible), Semi-private (making your profile characteristics visible), and Private (this mode will hide every profile information).
That is it, after choosing the Private mode from the three options, you will be able to browse anonymously through other user’s profiles. But you need to remember that once you switch to semi-private or private mode, the “Who viewed your profile” option will be disabled for your profile.
2. For Mobile
Now, for those users who are most likely to use LinkedIn on mobile can follow the below-provided steps, you will need the LinkedIn app installed on your mobile:
- Open your LinkedIn page and then, click on the Profile icon which is located at the top left corner of your screen.
- Then, click on the Settings option.
- Now, you have to look for the “visibility” option in the Settings.
- You have to click on the Profile viewing options present under Visibility.
- That is it, finally click on the Private mode from the three different modes provided i.e. Public, Private or Semi-private.
Is Private Mode A Part Of LinkedIn Premium?
No, it is not a part of LinkedIn Premium, it is available for free for every LinkedIn user. It is a part of the settings on this platform, and every user can use it. This functions pretty similarly with both premium and free versions, so don’t worry your privacy is safe!
Disadvantages Of LinkedIn Private Mode
Well, everything comes with a price and so does the private mode on LinkedIn. As much as it is beneficial for a user, it certainly has a great disadvantage. However, you don’t have to pay for using this feature but the demerit of using it that you will lose your networks.
You will no longer be able to see all those people who are interested in your profile and wants to connect to you because enabling Private mode disables the “Who viewed your profile” section.
So, you will no longer be able to connect with all of those users who view your profile and is interest in Networking. And the only solution to this is that you get a subscription to LinkedIn Premium which will allow you to see who viewed your profile while hiding your activities from other users.
And that is it, we have provided every information of LinkedIn and how to enable LinkedIn private mode on it, and also regarding its benefits and demerits. I hope this article has made everything clearer for you. And now you have a better perspective of it. If you still have any other queries then, you can let us know in the comments below.