Minecraft is one of the most popular games of all time and it is enjoyed by millions around the world. It’s a great game, but what if I told you that you could make it better? What if you could improve the FPS or add more realistic textures to Minecraft? Optifine lets you do all that and today, I am going to tell you how to download and install Optifine.
In this article, I am going to help you download and install Optifine on your PC or Mac. It is an extremely simple process, and by the end of this article, you will have the tools for modding Minecraft.
What is Optifine?
Optifine is a tool that can be used for modding Minecraft. If you have low-end hardware, then you can use Optifine to improve Minecraft’s performance. You can also change the way that Minecraft looks if you have a powerful computer.
If you follow Minecraft on social media or YouTube, you might have run into spectacular-looking Minecraft and that was possible because of Optifine and its support for shaders, HD textures, and more. However, this mod only works officially on PC and unofficially on macOS. It does not work on pocket edition Minecraft.
Some of the Optifine features are:
1. FPS boost
- doubling the FPS
- decreases lag spikes and smooth gameplay
2. Support for HD Textures
- HD textures and HD fonts
- custom terrain and item textures
- custom colors
- animated terrain and item textures
- custom HD Font character widths
- custom block color palettes
- unlimited texture size
- custom lighting
3. Dynamic Lights
- Allows handheld and dropped light emitting items to illuminate the objects around them
- Similar, but not related to the Dynamic Lights mod
4. Variable Render Distance
- From Tiny (2 chunks) to Extreme (64 chunks)
You can check out more features here.
Prerequisite: Install Java
Optifine requires Java to work. If you cannot run Optifine, then it’s probably because of this. Fortunately, installing Java on PCs and macOS devices is pretty simple. Follow these steps:
- Open this link on your web browser. It is the official Java download page.
- Download Java for your device.
- Run the installer from the Downloads folder.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and that’ all there is to it.
How to Download and Install Optifine?
Downloading and installing Optifine on both Windows and macOS is a similar and simple process. This is a guide to install Optifine for Minecraft 1.16. 5. Simply follow these steps to know how to download and install Optifine.
- Go to Optifine’s download page. If you cannot reach the website through this link, then the server is probably under maintenance and you will have to wait for a little while.
- Select the version that you want and click on Mirror and you will be taken to the download link. You have to make sure that the version of Optifine matches up with your version of Minecraft (in our case it is 1.16.5).
- Your browser might think that Optifine is dangerous, but it is not. Click Keep to download Optifine.
- After the download is complete, run the installer. The installer will have a Java icon. If it does not run, right-click on it, click on Open with, and select Java.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Optifine.
How to Run Optifine?
First, make sure to run vanilla Minecraft without any mods once and then close it. Run Minecraft launcher again but this time, click on the profile selector next to the Play button. Select Optifine from the list of profiles and hit Play.
1. How to Run Optifine with Forge?
To run Optifine with Forge, all you have to do is follow these steps:
- After downloading Optifine, copy the Optifine JAR file.
- Go to your Minecraft directory and find a folder called mods. Paste the Optifine JAR file there.
- Run Minecraft and select the Forge profile. You will be able to run Optifine mods with Forge now.
The locations of the Minecraft mods folder are:
- C:\Users\\[username]\AppData\Roaming\\.minecraft\mods for Windows.
- ~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft/mods for Mac users.
What if You Cannot Run Optifine?
If you followed the instructions properly and you still cannot run Optifine, then follow these steps:
- Make sure that you have Java installed.
- If you cannot find Optifine in your profiles, then select the Installations tab, and make sure that the boxes Stable, Historical, Modded, and Snapshots are checked. You will now be able to find Optifine in the launcher.
Now you know how to download and run Optifine. You can install all the shaders and other graphical modifications to your heart’s content. It is a nice way to add a little bit more to an amazing game. If you have any doubts, let me know in the comments section down below.