A lot of people while looking at pre-installed applications in their devices, stumble upon an application named “ELM Agent” and assume it to be harmful to their device. Many users misunderstand it to be a virus or some spyware application being used to disrupt their privacy. And in this article, we are going to provide you a detailed knowledge regarding ELM Agent and what it is and if it is harmful to our Android devices. So we would suggest you keep reading till the end and if you come across more doubts then, let us know in the comments below.
What Is ELM Agent?
Emulated legacy Mount is an Android application that gathers all the data and then transmits it to the ELM server to secure your privacy and personal data. This application is usually used by companies that have company phones with Microsoft-based accounts.
It protects its users by securing their personal information, company files, user data, emails, etc. By using the tracking method from different sources. ELM Agent is capable of tracking via different sources such as emails, messaging, GPS, phone calls, etc.
Companies make use of such company phones for specific purposes and therefore, they need to be sure that their company phones are not used by their employees for illegal or inappropriate activities. Also, it provides assurance towards safekeeping all the company-related private information.
Is ELM Agent A Spyware Application?
We know many users misunderstand ELM Agent to be a spyware application for their device. But the answer to this question is – NO. ELM agent is not any spyware application instead it is bloatware which means that it was one of the many applications that come pre-installed on your Android device, it wasn’t installed manually.
And therefore, it cannot be spyware and that is just one reason in defense of the above question. We have plenty of reasonable answers to confirm that ELM agent is no spyware application rather it is a very useful application that is designed to secure the personal information of the users.
It is significantly used by companies that provide their employees with company phones to communicate and store all the company-related data. And this application works to secure all the private data and is also, used for tracking the activities of that particular phone.
However, the ELM agent doesn’t share any information with other third-party applications without the user’s permission. And therefore, the ELM agent is not a spyware application, it is an application that helps secure and monitors the activities of a particular Android device.
How To Disable The ELM Agent Application From Your Device?
The removal of ELM agent from Android device is very easy to do the process, you don’t have to go through lengthy procedures for removing this application. However, there can be slight consequences of removing a pre-installed app from a device.
There are 2 ways of removing the ELM agent and we are going to tell you about both the ways and explain the process step-by-step. Let’s first have a look at the removal of this application without using a third-party application:
1. Through Settings
If you are looking for a way to uninstall the ELM agent from your device and don’t want to use a third-party application to do the same then, you must try this method, it is simple and quick. Just follow the steps as provided below:
- Open Settings application on your Android device. It is represented by a gear-like symbol in your device.
- Now, in Settings, you have to click on the “Apps & Notifications” option or “My Apps” option (depends from device to device).
- Then, you will be provided with a list of all the default and installed applications on your device, you have to look for the ELM Agent from that list. Now we need to be aware that the name of the ELM agent can vary from device to device, so patiently look for it in the list. Once you find it click on it, to open its details.
- Here, you have to click on the “Disable” option and that’s it this default app will be disabled on your device.
2. Using Titanium Backup
Alternatively, you could use the Titanium Backup app to “freeze” ELM Agent applications because disabling system apps can sometimes be difficult on phones like the Samsung Galaxy.
- You will have to download the “Titanium backup” application or you can simply click here to install.
- Once it is installed, launch the app on your device, it will display details of all the applications on your device.
- Now, you will have to click on the option to help you edit filters which will in turn help to locate the Emulated Legacy Mount Agent application with ease.
- Once you find the Elm Agent, click on it and then, select the Freeze button to disable it.
I hope with the help of this article you have gathered all the relevant knowledge regarding ELM agents and about how to disable the same from your device. However, as already mentioned ELM Agent is not any sort of spyware application, and thus, it causes no harm to your device. I hope you liked reading this article and if you have any queries then, you can let us know in the comments below.