Are you not liking the Gamertag which Microsoft gave you and wants to change it as per your preference? My friend you’re in the right place, in this article I am going to tell you everything about Xbox Gamertag and how you can change Xbox Gamertag.
Gamertag is basically a kind of username that appears while you play any game, you are represented in the Xbox community with that name. When you create an Xbox account, Microsoft tends to give a random Gamertag to each player, and you can’t change it manually at that point in time.
So it’s very obvious most of the people don’t like the default given name and like to keep their name as per their convenience. And thus, it becomes important to know how to change Xbox Gamertag. But first, let’s have a quick look at its features and then we will together study this in deep:
Features Of Xbox Gamertag That You Should Know!
Here are some of the astounding features that come along with Xbox Gamertag, you should be aware of them beforehand:
- You can set your Gamertag in approximately 200 languages., which is the best part indeed!
- It is mandatory to have 12 characters at maximum in your Gamertag.
- You are not allowed to insert any emojis and special characters in your Gamertag.
- If the Gamertag that you desire to have is already taken then, Xbox will include # or numbers to make it a unique name. For instance, if you choose LeonStag and if it is already taken then, you can choose LeonStag#10.
- If you want to change the Gamertag provided by Microsoft then you can change it for free but for only once, for the second time, you will have to pay a sum of $9.99.
How To Change your Xbox Gamertag for Free?
Through this article, we will provide you the answer to the above question. We will help you to change your Gamertag for Xbox. We will be providing you with 4 efficient methods for changing the Xbox Gamertag. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Change Gamertag on Xbox One
Here are the steps that you can follow to change Xbox Gamertag using Xbox One.
- Press the Xbox button which is located in the middle of the Xbox controller.
- This will open your Profile tab, now, click on the Gamerpic which is located on the top left corner of the screen.
- Click on your Profile and few options will appear on your screen.
- Now, you will see three options, choose the “My Profile” option from them.
- Your Profile page will open up on the screen, click on the “Customize Profile” option.
- Now, you will see an edit option on the side of gamerpic and the Gamertag. So, simply click on your Gamertag which will let you edit it.
- On the next screen, they will provide you with some suggestions for your Gamertag, click “More” to get suggestions, and then click on “Make my own” to specify your desired Gamertag.
- Now enter the name you like and as soon as you click on the Enter button, a confirmation is required from the account if the desired name is available or not.
- When you have selected the desired Gamertag then simply, click on Yes. Now, you can use your changed Gamertag.
2. How to Change gamertag on Xbox 360?
Down below are the steps that you can follow to change Xbox Gamertag using Xbox 360 Consoles. So, here’s how to change Xbox Gamertag:
- Click on your profile and then, select the Settings options.
- Your profile page will open as soon as you click on the Profile option now, on the Profile page click on the “Edit Profile” option.
- On the next screen, few options will appear, click the Gamertag option.
- Now, the Change Gamertag window will appear, you have to click on the “Enter New Gamertag” option to type your desired Gamertag or you can also click on the Get Suggestion option to get suggestions from Microsoft.
- After typing the Gamertag you want, click Done
- You will have to keep trying another Gamertag until it confirms that the desired Gamertag is available.
- Now, as soon as you type a Gamertag which is not taken, a screen will appear to click on the “Yes, use this Gamertag” button to change your Gamertag.
- On the next screen, click on the “Confirm Change” button to confirm the changed Gamertag.
And that is all, you’ve successfully changed your Gamertag using Xbox 360 console.
3. Change Xbox Gamertag Online for Free
You can use the Online method if you find any difficulty in using the on-screen keyboard. Here’s how to change Xbox Gamertag online:
- Open any web browser that you use on your PC, and then go to social.xbox.com/changegamertag
- Log in to your Xbox account using your login credentials.
- Now, enter the new Gamertag that you desire to have in the provided area and just click on the “Check availability” button.
- If the Gamertag that you desired is already taken then a few numbers will show with that Gamertag and if you’re okay with it, click the Change Gamertag button.
- As soon as you enter a unique Gamertag that is not taken, you can click on the Change Gamertag button.
- A confirmation screen will appear simply click on the “Change Gamertag” option again.
- When it is changed, the success screen will appear on the screen and that is it!
4. Changing it Using The Xbox Console Companion App
Xbox has its own application for their gamers to make it easier for them to access games on laptops and computers, it is called the Xbox Console Companion App. You can easily install the app from the Microsoft store if you are using Windows 10 OS. So, here’s how to change Xbox Gamertag using the Xbox app:
- First of all, install and run the Xbox Console Companion app on your Windows 10 PC.
- Now, it will require you to log in with your Xbox account.
- Click on your Gamerpic icon which will be located on the top left of the screen.
- Look for the “Customize” option and click on it, it is below your profile.
- As soon as the next screen appears, click the Change Gamertag button.
- Now, all you have to do is to type the Gamertag you want and then, click on the Check Availability button.
- If the name that you entered will be available then you can click on Claim its option, if it is not available then you will have to try a unique Gamertag.
Note: You can change your Gamertag only once for free, if you want to change it for the second time, you will have to pay for it and thus, you will be directed to the Payments page. This applies for all the above provided methods.
And thus, we come to the end of this article, we have listed the most efficient 4 ways through which you can change your Xbox Gamertag on both Xbox One and Xbox 360.
I hope you find this article useful and loved reading this article. If you have any doubts or queries, let us know in the comments box down below, we would be glad to answer them all!